In accordance with our mission and in compliance with ADA, the Strozier and Dirac Libraries offer several services for patrons with disabilities. Both libraries are wheelchair accessible.
In an effort to ensure access to library collections and services to patrons with disabilities, the libraries provide a number of services. The staff will provide services and/or accommodations aimed at equalizing access to library resources. The type and nature of the special assistance is usually determined by the request. While most special assistance can be given at the time of request, it may be to your advantage to make an appointment for non-routine accommodations so that appropriate staff can be scheduled to provide timely assistance. To make an appointment for services, contact Fred Rebhun.
Some examples of the services that may be provided, in addition to service such as document delivery and interlibrary loan, include:
- Retrieval of materials from the stacks
- Physical assistance with searching the Libraries' online catalog and databases, and assistance with using microform and audiovisual equipment
- Reference or other assistance by appointment
- Photocopying assistance for on-site copying.
- Accessible Workstations and Adaptive Equipment
- In addition to wheelchair accessible tables and computer workstations in the libraries, Strozier Library has study spaces equipped with a variety of equipment to meet ADA requirements.
Adaptive programs and equipment are available in the Assistive Technology Lab, the Accessible Pod, and on random computers on the floor. Software and hardware include:
- Computers with Jaws, ZoomText, MaGic, Inspiration, Kurzweil 3000, and Dragon Naturally Speaking
- 2 HP 5200C Flatbed Scanners
- 1 CCTV
- 1 Kurzweil 3000 USB
- 1 Franklin Language Master
- 1 Reading Pen
- 1 Sapphire Magnifer
- 1 Desk Magnifer
- Alternative Keyboards
- Alternative mice
- Talking Calculators
For more information about accessible services in the library, check out our LibGuide at: http://guides.lib.fsu.edu/accessibility