Interlibrary Loan Services: Frequently Asked Questions
Interlibrary Loan Services at the Florida State University Libraries is powered by ILLiad – an Inter Library Loan Internet Access Database – that allows the researcher to request, track and receive information seamlessly and with minimal assistance from library staff.
Who is eligible to use Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- Current employees – faculty and staff – and students presently enrolled in classes may use ILL.
- College of Law and College of Medicine provide interlibrary loan service for their community.
- FSU students, staff, and faculty at the Panama City, Florida campus should consult the Panama City Library and Learning Center.
- Alums, Friends of the Library and Special Borrowers are not eligible to use interlibrary loan services. FSU Libraries Policies are available at http://www.lib.fsu.edu/about/policies.html
What information must be provided to register for Interlibrary Loan?
Use Blackboard credentials - Username (FSUID) and Password - to access registration page.
- Current Address – unless on campus - must be a physical address
- Status – Select Distance Learner if physical address is beyond 50 miles of Tallahassee Campus.
- Email address must be fsu.edu
- Current telephone number where you can be reached during business hours.
- FSUCard Library Number (14 digit number found at the bottom left of FSUCard that reads Lib#206…)
- Authorized Users: provides access to ILL materials for designated persons – in example, Teaching Assistant.
- Please note: you are responsible for insuring that your personal profile in ILLIad is kept up to date.
Who is considered a Distance Learner?
FSU Faculty and Students who live beyond 50 miles of the Tallahassee Campus meet the criteria for service to distance learners and may have research materials mailed to their home address.
Articles are delivered electronically to the .fsu.edu email address. Contact information for the FSU Libraries distance learning team can be found at http://www.lib.fsu.edu/department/distance-learning
Additional support for the FSU distance learner is available at FSU ONLINE: http://distance.fsu.edu
Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?
Blackboard FSUID and password creates a secure environment for your personal information and request history.
What Web browser should I use?
A current version of Internet Explorer is recommended, however Mozilla Firefox has the functionality to process the Cascading Style Sheets used by the ILLiad software.
Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?
From time to time we purge older records from ILLiad. Our policy is to keep requests online for several years in order to comply with record keeping requirements of the copyright law.
What materials can be borrowed?
Interlibrary Loan is a library to library transaction that is regulated by the Copyright Law (U.S. Code, Title 17) and the policies of the American Library Association Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States. In addition ILL staff works closely with Subject Specialists and Collection Development to create the list of items either restricted by copyright or not usually purchased by libraries:
- Entire journal
- Reference Books
- Special Collections
- Electronic Resources – Books or Journals
- Items on Reserves
- Standardized Test Preparation Materials
- Multimedia – computer software, cd, dvd, vhs
- Bestsellers – popular fiction
- Current year publications
How much does Interlibrary Loan cost?
Florida State University Libraries absorbs the cost of Interlibrary Loan materials in order to support the research and instruction at FSU. Please note that while this cost is free to you, the FSU Libraries are invoiced for copyright, shipping, and lender fees; the average cost for each item borrowed can be as low as $20 or as high as $150.
How long does it take to receive the item I request?
- Articles usually take between 1-3 business days; the average is 12 hours. Journal articles will be delivered via the web as a PDF to your .fsu.edu email address.
- Books usually arrive via the U.S. Postal Service within 10 business days – the average is 5 days. Please note we are an international borrower; as a result it can take up to a month for a book to arrive. ILLIad sends a notice when the book is available for pickup at your designated delivery location.
To facilitate the process:
- Please submit complete citations; contact your Subject Specialists for assistance at http://www.lib.fsu.edu/services/liaison/index.html
- Provide name of resource your title was found in.
- Do not use abbreviations unless the source of the citation uses them.
- Use Borrowing Notes field to provide as much detail as possible.
- Submit one request per item.
- Library Delivery Service provides delivery and pickup of ILL materials. See http://www.lib.fsu.edu/ill/led.html
When are Interlibrary Loan materials due?
- There is no standard loan period for ILL items. The lending library determines the due date and condition of the loan such as "In-Library-Use-ONLY" and "NO Renewals".
- Please note, if renewals are possible, the bookstrap will provide instruction as to how to submit a renewal.
How do I return the materials?
- Books may be returned to any campus (Dirac, Goldstein, Law, Medicine, Music ) library. Please note Circulation staffs at the Music Library prefer that music items be returned to the Allen Music Library.
- FSU Distance Learners should use a service with a tracking mechanism to return ILL materials.
- FSUPC Distance Learners may return their ILL materials to the Panama City, Florida Campus Library.
What happens if the materials are overdue?
Interlibrary Loan is a library to library transaction. As a result, overdue, damaged and/or lost books impact the FSU Community at large. To insure unrestricted access to the collections of our interlibrary loan partners, departmental protocol suspends ILL privileges; creates invoice for replacement costs; blocks all library services until invoice is paid and limits future ILL request for books to “in-library-use only”. Lost or damaged items should be reported to the ILL office immediately.
Who do I contact if I have questions about Interlibrary Loan request or need technical support?
- Interlibrary Loan staff can be reached during business hours at 850.644.4466 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- ILLiad Technical Support is provided by James (Jim) Snowden at email@example.com
- Questions about policy and procedure can be directed to Velma Smith, University Librarian/Department Head – firstname.lastname@example.org or call 850.644.5045
What is UBorrow?
- UBORROW allows you to request materials directly from participating libraries within Florida's state university system. This unmediated borrowing service has a generous loan period and guaranteed renewals: