Requirements for applicants:
- Identify the open textbook or educational resources that you will use to replace your current textbook or course materials. Good places to search for OER include OpenStax College, the Open Textbook Library, BCcampus, OER Commons, and MERLOT. (Contact your subject librarian for search help.)
- Obtain a letter of support from your department chair or school/college dean, to confirm that replacing your current textbook will not contravene any applicable policies.
- Complete the online application form by the deadline.
Requirements for grant recipients:
Successful grant recipients will:
- View two workshops (one hour each) by the end of the Spring 2017 semester:
- Getting Started with Open Educational Resources (OER)
- From OER to Open Pedagogy
- Meet with the Alt-Textbook team by the end of the Spring 2017 semester to develop a timeline of deliverables, implementation plan, and assessment tools
- Promote your work by providing the Alt-Textbook team with press-worthy updates and giving a presentation to colleagues in your department or school/college
- Provide feedback about the grant program and suggestions for how it could be improved for future applicants
Application Evaluation Rubric
Alt-Textbook grant applications will be evaluated using a rubric that balances the following criteria to prioritize impact and collaboration:
- Estimated savings to FSU students
- Openness of proposed content, with openly licensed content given preference over library-licensed materials
- Inclusion of a clear plan to assess student learning outcomes
- Potential for proposed content to be adopted by other courses or sections
- Departmental commitment (i.e., letter of support from department chair or dean)
- Feasibility of project being implemented in the 2017-18 academic year
Distribution of Grant Funds
Funds will be distributed for professional travel expenses, technology, or software following procedures outlined in a memorandum of understanding between FSU Libraries and the successful applicants.
Devin Soper, Scholarly Communications Librarian
Lindsey Wharton, Extended Campus and Distance Services Librarian