A self-service KIC Scanner is available for patron use in the Special Collections & Archives Research Center. Please check in with the desk attendant if you wish to use the scanner, the attendant will set up materials for scanning. Items requiring special handling are not available to be scanned on the KIC scanner but a Duplication Request may be submitted to our Digital Library Center.
Copies via Special Collections & Archives
In all cases, a Duplication Form must be filled out by the patron before any work may be completed. Staff in the Research Center or Pepper Reading Rooms can assist patrons in this. You may also contact us for assistance (lib-SpecialCollections@fsu.edu).
Copies are provided to individual researchers for the purpose of study and personal use only. If materials are to be used for display or publication, we recommend having Special Collections & Archives staff handle the digitization. For more information on publishing Special Collections materials, please see our Citations & Copyright information.
Special Collections & Archives reserves the right to review all copy requests and to withhold permission to copy if, in the professional judgment of the staff member:
- Copying would endanger the material;
- Would violate copyright law;
- Would violate donor-imposed restrictions;
- Place an undue burden upon Special Collections & Archives staff to provide the reproduction request
Conditions for Copying Materials
- Copies are made as time permits. Please allow up to 30 days for processing large orders and orders that must be handled by an off-campus vendor.
- In order to ensure the long-term preservation of the rare and unique resources entrusted to its care, the Special Collections & Archives Department reserves the right to limit the number of copies made, to select the method of reproduction, and to decline to make copies of, especially fragile or important items.
- Even if using for educational/research purposes, no more than 30% of a book, journal, manuscript collection or other work may be reproduced.
Available methods for duplication:
- Self-serve imaging using the KIC Scanner in the Special Collections & Archives Research Center
- Digital Duplication by Special Collections & Archives staff
- Digital Duplication by the Digital Library Center
The Duplication Form needs to be submitted for every duplication request completed by Special Collections & Archives staff. Unless high resolution images are required, the request will be filled by the Digital Library Center or Special Collections & Archives staff at our discretion.